Friday, April 30, 2010

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

I tried this for the first time on Wednesday. I've been trying to get us back into the habit of having a vegetarian meal at least once a week, if not twice. I used to try to have at least one veg. meal, one with fish, and one with meat (I know that's only 3 meals, but we would have leftovers from at least one meal). This week, we had one of my favorites, Chicken and Couscous Salad, which we ate on Monday and Tuesday. I love the texture of that salad, and adding some feta makes it extra-delicious! That salad calls for radishes, and I always end up with extra radishes when I make it. I found this recipe for Cuban Black Beans and Rice, which is vegetarian AND calls for radishes! It's a win-win.

I really enjoyed it. I followed the recipe almost exactly, but I did add some Penzey's Adobo Seasoning and 1/4-1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper. I also added an extra dash of vinegar at the end. For the rice, I used a brown jasmine, which I thought went really well with it. It made it take much longer (brown jasmine takes 50 minutes), but I think it tasted better and was probably a little healthier, too. I also used italian parsley inseat of cilantro, since that's what we had leftover from the Couscous salad. We added hot sauce, and I thought it was delicious! M. thought the addition of the rashishes was strange the first time, but he may have come around on the second day. I'll definitely make it again!

1 comment:

Old Havana Foods said...

Hi EC,

We have an authentic, centuries-old Cuban recipe for "frijoles negros." Hope you don't mind if I tell you about Old Havana Foods .. If you want to taste the world's best premium Cuban black beans, visit OldHavanaFoods.com We have easy-to-prepare and healthy black bean dinners you'll love.
I'll throw in a complimentary item if you order from us. muchas gracias